BBQScreen – Display your device’s screen on your PC!
Many of us often want to get our devices’ display shared on a larger screen, which is usually very hard to achieve. The common methods are using a HDMI cable (which is not available for every device) or even worse, by recording the screen of the device with another camera, which gives really poor results. Some might also crave to record the on screen activity, either to showcase their apps or just for fun. This can be achieved by using the infamous Screencast Video Recorder app. However, the app has a lot of limitations and does not work on certain devices.
But not to fear, because now we have BBQScreen! This amazing app is developed by XDA Recognized Developer and CyanogenMod associate XpLoDWilD. The app is plain simple, just install the app and the client program according to your PC’s OS [yes, all major OSes are supported: Windows, Mac OS X and Linux (currently only x86 is fully supported)], get both the device and PC connected via WiFi or USB tethering and you are ready to go! According to the description in Play Store:
BBQScreen lets you see your Android device’s screen on your computer at fullspeed.
*** REQUIRES ROOT! ***
Unlike many Phone-to-PC screen sharing app, BBQScreen lets you see your device’s screen in realtime and at a high framerate. It’s super easy to setup, and can work through Wi-Fi, USB Tethering, or even Bluetooth tethering (best experienced with Wi-Fi or USB Tethering).
Here are some screenshots of the app:
And also a video of the app in action:
- A rooted device
- Running ICS 4.0.x and above
- NEON-capable CPU (most devices that are released since 2 years ago should have this)
- Get the app from Play Store: Play Store link ($2.99, paid but well worth the price)
- Install the client program for your PC here: BBQScreen Website
- Run the app
- Connect the device and PC with WiFi, USB tethering or Bluetooth tethering (WiFi or USB tethering is recommended for best results)
- Fire up the client program in your PC.
- Key in the IP address shown in the app into the prompt of the client program.
- Hit start and your device’s screen should now show up in your PC!
- To get clearer images, tune the Scale option available in the app. A higher scale means a clearer image, but it will be less responsive and uses more CPU power.
- To record your on screen activity, just install any screen recording program on your PC and record your PC’c screen when running BBQScreen. Here is a good list of screen recording program for Windows: Top 5 Free Screen Recording Softwares for Windows.
- You need not worry about how will the output be if your device’s screen is in landscape mode, BBQScreen detects it and alters the output shown in your PC too.
- This app is useful for showcasing apps live in a conference, or maybe even do a presentation via your smart phone! Let your creativity run wild! Feel free to post comments about other uses you can think of.
For more information or if you are keen to report bugs, feel free to drop by the app’s development forum in XDA-Developers.